Licensed Software for your department
The office of Software Licensing negotiates and administers software site licenses and volume discounts programs at Rice, and distributes licenses and media for those programs. Departments, faculty, and staff (and in some cases, students) can purchase this software at significant savings.
While terms vary from vendor to vendor, most licenses must be used for University-related education or research purposes and on University-owned computers and a license is needed for each computer running the software. Other specific regulations appear in the product descriptions on this site.
Most licenses purchased through the Licensing office require departments to be responsible for the annual renewal fee to maintain the University's volume discount structure and eligibility for software updates and support.
Licensed Software you can download for free is listed in IT Tutorials: https://docs.rice.edu/confluence/x/YgBTAQ
- I assume responsibility for any software downloaded or purchased.
- I will install and use this software in terms of the licensing agreement.
- I will give no one else copies of this software.
- If I leave this department or Rice University I will take no copies of this software with me.
- I will abide by the termination agreement when leaving this department or Rice University.
I certify that when leaving my department or Rice University, I will return all the software to the Site License Specialist, or destroy it, or in the case of copies on hard disks of department owned machines, transfer ownership to someone else in the department.